Tattoos, Designs & Ideas by Best Tattoo Artists

Continuing with our behind the scenes artists interviews, a few weeks ago we touched base with Nic Westfall, San Francisco tattoo artist who works out of Club Tattoo at Pier 39. We asked him a few questions about his start in tattooing, his favorite styles, what makes a Nic Westfall tattoo, and what he had to tattoo on a guy for losing a bet.
Why did you first get into tattooing?
I got into Tattooing pretty randomly, Ive always been into all mediums of art, and one day at the age of about 25 someone just gave me a cheap tattoo kit. I played around with it a lot before I actually touched skin, but about a month after doing my first tattoo I quit my real job and went straight into tattooing full time.
How did you get your start?
I got my start out of my apartment and learned mostly off you-tube videos and trial and error. Ive never done an official apprenticeship.
What was your art history before tattooing?
Ive always been a doodler, ever since I could hold a crayon. I got pretty good at portraits in high school, I would draw girls out of Maxim while I was in class. In College I earned about 60 Art credits and started doing much more abstract forms of art including sculpting.
Apart from Trash Polka, what other genres are you drawn to?
I enjoy photo realism the best, preferably Black and Grey. I Photoshop a lot of my own references to make them one of a kind. Fantasy Females are definitely my favorite
Is there a genre youd like to do, but havent worked in that style yet?
Im a huge fan of the glowing effects that artist like Nick Baxter achieve. It seems like the more I tattoo the more I get sought out for my own style, But hopefully someone will push me out of my comfort zone soon.
What Problems Do You Encounter when tattooing? Any common challenges or tips to get around them?
Most of my challenges come during the design stage. I push myself to try and make every tattoo I do unique, and most clients walk through the door with things they found on Google and can be stubborn. I feel like its my job as the tattoo artist to be suggestive and make sure they walk out the door with something meant for them, not found on a search engine.
What Advice Would You Give to up and coming artists?
Push your limits. There are no rules in art
If you werent doing tattoos what would you be doing?
I would probably still be in sales.
Whats unique to a Nic Westfall tattoo?
They are always one of a kind originals
What kind of sizes make the most fun for you?
I like one sitting pieces that I can do in 4-5 hours. I get tired of working on the same piece if its too much longer then that, and its nice being able to start and finish a piece in one sitting
How many tats do you have? Whats your favorite? Any significant meaning behind it?
I have a sleeve and a half, my back, my chest and one rib cage. My favorite piece is the half sleeve, I had it done about a month ago by Carlos Rubios in AZ. Its a piece that I spent about 2 weeks drawing of a girl surrounded by filigree with her body blended into and abstract clock.  All of my tattoos I got just for the sake of the art, non of them have any real meaning.
Who or what influences you?
Im influenced by everything around me. Everything from quotes on bumper stickers to shapes of clouds.Im always looking for new ideas in weird places
Worst thing about being a tattoo artist?
Dealing with the difficult clients
Difficult clients, talk to us about that. Are those people who dont know what they want, or the people who want the straight image from Google searches?
I guess in a way custom ink is a collaboration between the artist and the person, but sometimes that can go sideways? Its not the people who dont know what they want, those clients are often very open to suggestions and in my opinion are the ones that end up with the best tattoos! They tend to let the artist be an artist. Its the client that comes in with the google image that 4 other people have come in with that week, I would name a few examples but I dont want to hurt feeling lol. But a collaboration between the artist and the client is a great way to state it. A great tattoo should begin with the customers ideas (not googles) and that idea should be brought to life by the tattoo artist (not google). Every Tattoo should be one of a kind!
What makes a great tattoo?
In my eyes a great tattoo is one that the client loves.
We all make mistakes while learning, what was the biggest mistake you made while learning?
I had an instance about two years ago where I placed the wrong word in a long sentence. not mispelled, just not the same word she was looking for. Luckily it was an easy fix
Any funny tattoo storys?
I once had to tattoo a stick figure penis on this kids back for losing a bet. Trust me we tried to talk him out of it, but it came down to him having us do it or a not so clean shop down the street do it. So i just did him a favor and made it happen lol. The best part was it spelled his friends name out of the tip.
Two words. Tramp stamp. Comment?
Dont
What gear/equipment do you use that you couldnt live without?
I couldnt live without curved mags! I love whoever came up with the idea. THANKS!
Did you go through different equipment manufacturers or inks before you found the right one?
Yeah I tried a ton of different brands over the years. Im pretty much stuck on Eternal and Intenze products now. And the last 2 months Ive been using FK Irons Spektra Halo. Absolutely love them!
Nic Westfall can be found at Club Tattoo in San Francisco at Pier 39. For more info click here or find him on Facebook.

Previous
Next Post »